The Africa Steering Committee was originally endorsed and nominated on 27 May 2011, at the PWYP Africa Regional meeting in Kinshasa. It is an important development to ensure effectiveness and African ownership of the campaign at regional and global level.
- To oversee the implementation of the strategic action plan and provide strategic guidance as needed.
- To ensure that National Coalitions and members comply with PWYP principles and standards
- To oversee and validate the setting up of national coalitions.
- Ensures the implementation of the protection policy
The Steering committee is composed of representatives from African sub-regions: Eastern and Southern Africa; Central Africa; Anglophone West Africa and Francophone West Africa respectively. Added to this number is the African civil society representatives in the EITI Board, the Africa Coordinator and the International Director. The terms of members is of two to three years.
The Steering Committee is in regular communication and convened at least twice a year, decision making will be made by consensus.
|Main priorities for current Africa Steering Committee
The first Africa Steering Committee of PWYP has a specific mandate to be accomplished by the next Africa Regional Meeting. The main points of this include:
- Prioritizing, steering and overseeing the implementation of the Africa advocacy strategy
- Drafting of a PWYP Africa Charter, defining principles and rules of functioning of the new governance structure, consistent with the review of the international governance system
- Finalizing and ensuring implementation of the protection policy
- Participating in the review of the international strategy and governance system
- Participating in and overseeing the review of the national coalition model
- Eastern and Southern Africa: Mr. Bubelwa Kaiza (Tanzania)
- Alternate: Edmund Kangamungazi (Zambia)
- Central Africa: Mr. Gilbert Maoundonodji (Chad)
- Alternate: Mr. Honoré Theodore Roger Ndoumbe Nkotto (Cameroon)
- Anglophone West Africa: Mr. Steve Manteaw (Ghana)
- Alternate: Ms. Faith Nwadishi (Nigeria)
- Francophone West Africa: Mr. Taran Diallo (Guinee)
- Alternate: Mme Sidibe epouse Toure (Mali)
EITI Board members:
- Mr. Ali Idrissa (Niger)
- Mr. Jean Claude Katende (DR Congo)
- M. Hannah Koranteng (Ghana)