If we demand transparency from others, we need to exercise financial transparency of our own. On this page you will find details of our income and expenditure for 2011. We will put up our data for 2012 in early 2013. If you have any questions about this page or the information contained within, please contact our International Director Marinke van Riet, for more information.
The International Secretariat of Publish What You Pay consists of a small core team of six based in London and one team member based in Beirut. Thus far, the PWYP International Secretariat does not have its own legal entity, instead we are hosted by the Open Society Foundation in London. Until October 2012 the Programme Manager for Africa was hosted by Catholic Relief Services in Ghana. The Coordinator for the MENA region is hosted by Revenue Watch Institute with separate income and expenditures and hence is not included here.
In 2011, the combined income for the London and Accra-based PWYP Secretariats was £436,043 – coming from a total of eight different supporters.
As you can imagine, with such a small team coordinating the campaigns and work of 40 coalitions around the world, the majority of our expenses go to staff costs (42%) and communications, campaigning and organising workshops (31%). The remainder (26%) is spent on office and administrative costs.
Six of the eight funders for 2011 are NGOs and members of the coalition and long-term contributors demonstrating the enormous commitment they have to the campaign: Global Witness, Revenue Watch Institute, Cordaid, Oxfam Novib, Secours Catholique and CAFOD. Together they are responsible for 56% of the total income in 2011. The PWYP International Secretariat benefits from partnerships with two foundations: the Open Society Foundation and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation who contribute the remaining 44%. Open Society Foundation in London is also PWYP’s legal host and PWYP’s income and expenditure is therefore audited as part of OSF’s audit in London. In July 2011 PWYP was able to welcome the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation to our list of supporters for a two year partnership totalling U$500,000. This has allowed PWYP to carry out an ambitious strategy development process culminating in the adoption of Vision 20/20 during our tenth anniversary held in Amsterdam.
Please note that the majority of the PWYP coalition members –including those listed above- contribute in kind through human resources, legal and/or technical expertise, media outreach and engagement, organisation of workshops etc. which are equally – if not more – important to advance our cause. An exercise to ‘monetise’ this is virtually impossible but we would not be where we are today without this joint commitment to the PWYP’s strategic pillars. In addition this page only refers to the income and expenditures of the International Secretariat, the national coalitions have their own sources of funding which as part of our new governance structure will be posted on the country pages in the future. For coordiantion and harmonisation purposes the International Secretariat strongly recommends donors to liaise with PWYP before committing to funding coalitions.
With the new ambitious Vision 20/20 it is obvious that the PWYP Secretariat needs to be strengthened in order to serve the needs and demands of the growing coalition better. We would love for more organisations, especially from within the coalition, to support our campaign for an open and accountable extractive industry. If you are interested in supporting one of the most successful coalitions of the last decade, please contact PWYP’s International Director. Please note that we do not accept any donations from the extractive industry.